WHAT IS REAL-TIME SCHEDULING IN FIELD HEALTHCARE?
The backdrop of recent operational pressures matched with modern customer expectations can be solved through real-time optimisation. Often, this is using your existing resources with efficient cost- and skills-based scheduling and route planning.
In planning workflows, moving to an optimised scheduling platform and a real-time field app
- Geocoded appointment location – ending time wasted searching around Post Codes
- Overlapped service ranges – opening previously-hidden alternative schedules and routes
- Regulated skills and medicines/tools required for the visit automatically factored
- Vehicle availability and type – whether the field visit must be offered by healthcare workers’ own car, or a fleet vehicle (and the required storage capacity)
- Actual time of day driving speeds – real-world data to calculate the travel time between appointments
- In-day re-optimisation – within seconds to account for unplanned availability/traffic conditions/missing supplies
- Cost-optimisation – allowing head-office to add/subtract new operational rules with SLA compliance factored in real time
Healthcare professionals and medical technicians both receive live instructions to their field service app
. With mutual agreement this also provides the opportunity for your field employees to begin their shifts from home addresses, saving unnecessary fuel use to an office/warehouse. As discussed, it's often the case that healthcare visitors now operate telecare appointments – and these must take place in a supervised clinical environment.
These appointments and their associated travel time
are factored in to ensure the windows offered
In the patient/customer workflow, moving to an optimised appointment scheduling software and booking portal
provides the integrated self-service customer portal
(or call centre), a pre-optimised appointment window. The appointment is selected and this data may be twinned into a CRM through the back office. (This includes emergency appointments which are created - not just set aside 'just in case'
What is happening in the background?
- FLS VISITOUR calculated with all parameters as described above
- The algorithm created availability at the earliest time (according to the best outcome)
- The dispatcher had the option to proceed with the proposed time
- The customer was satisfied to be offered a menu of appointment windows
- In-day re-optimisation for all field employees with live ETA tracking for the customer
- For maximum transparency, the field employee has the account and case history available, a photo of either the completed work, and/or sign-on-glass is linked back to the work order and written into the CRM
Take this lesson from the Insurance Industry about how to deploy a Field Office within hours
, here: Reacting in Real Time
Read more about in-built tools to assist Compliance, Regulation, and Traceability
here: FLS Industry - Healthcare & Medical Engineering